Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Visit to the Ministry of Economic Affairs

Teresa, Johan, and I took a drive to the C.K.S Memorial Hall MRT area to pay a visit to the Investment Commission Ministry of Economic Affairs.  In order for Taiwan to protect their own citizens from massive buyouts and dumps of cash from foreigners, all foreign investment needs to be thoroughly regulated through this branch of the Ministry of Economic Affairs.  Since Mohzy is a Taiwan based company and I'm a Canadia, I still need the proper legal documentation and permits to invest in it.

Teresa has been amazing and put together all of the paper work involved for my visa, my work permit, and this investment... stuff together.  We arrived, took the cramped elevator up to the 8th floor, made a right turn, then a 180 turn back past the elevators and sat down at a kitchen table.  Each floor of this building had to be less than 8 feet because the ceiling was easily touched and felt quite short when looking straight ahead. It sort of felt like the whole building was being squished down.

A young man came by with some paper stapled together.  In it I saw a photocopy of my passport, and some other documents I had signed previously.  2 quick signatures later and we were done!  Much faster than I thought.  I want to also make a note that it's always fun signing these Chinese documents.  The spaces for the signature are usually really small (not even enough room for my first name), or they're vertical.  Last time I was at Ali's parents house they showed me a dictionary of Chinese characters based on the sound of my name.  From which I could pick and create my own signature.  Perhaps I'll think about that more seriously now.

All that's left now is waiting for my Residency Visa paper work, then this Investor Permit, then a bank account, health insurance, and my ARC card.  And of course a handful of repeat paper work for Eliza when she joins us :)


4 comments:

  1. It is good to hear that all your paperwork is finally coming together so you can begin to continue your new life in Taiwan. Dad and I are so excited for you. We will definitely miss you while you are away.

    Love Mamasan
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you guys too! I don't think of it too much as "my new life" because that makes me feel like my old life is gone or past! Instead, I think of it more as a fun experience living in a new culture for a while. Making new friends and looking forward to visits home or visits from people coming over to visit us!

      Delete
  2. That sounds kinda like a cool experience! Please keep us posted on your new vertical signature ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah it definitely was cool. Something that one does not normally do every day, let alone in a different country!

      Delete