Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hanging' at the super market

It would seem that hanging out at the Carrefour has become my evening activity.  Every night we leave the office around 7-8pm and I have Johan drop me off at the Carrefour.  The Carrefour is part of a huge shopping mall a few minutes walk from my place.  I doesn't take up a lot of real estate, but it's 8 floors high with a driving range on the top.

Since I have nothing going on at home and I don't really want to work all day at work, and then go home and work at home, Carrefour has become my escape.  I've found myself wandering around there for easily an hour a day just looking and seeing what's available to buy, and also what I need since there are a lot of basics I find I'm without.  It's become my evening activity.

Today I did some price research on microwaves, toaster ovens, kettles, and rice cookers.  Most stuff, as always, is slightly cheaper if I buy it online from PCHOME.  The only caveat is that it's an only-chinese online website so I'll need the help of one of my trusty Taiwanese friends!  Anne (Ali's sister) has been helping a lot now that she's at the office with us.  Tomorrow, she is taking me to Daiso, which if you're familiar with the one in Richmond, is sort of like a nice dollar store.


The "Inport" food aisle consists of mostly pasta, pasta sauce and western flavored salad dressing.  I thought it a bit ironic to label the other side of the aisle "Asia Food" considering the rest of the whole super market was asian. lol.

shopping the inport aisle


honestly, what the heck do those icons mean?

Buying toilet paper in a foreign country was more difficult than I thought.  I couldn't tell if it was 1ply or 2 or 4ply.  And I don't want to invest in 6-12 rolls without knowing what I'm buying!  I splurged for the most expensive one at $4 for 6 rolls just in case.  (btw, a selection of actual toilet "rolls" is quite limited.  most houses have something that is more in the form of a tissue stack style.  My apartment has a little toilet paper roll handle thingy so I went with rolls).

After wandering for an hour I was almost ready to walk out just with the toilet paper.  It felt a bit funny to only buy that, so I went by the fruit section and picked up a container of freshly cut pineapple for $1.50.  Toilet paper and pineapple.  Gonna be a wild night!

1 comment:

  1. toilet paper and pineapple... and don't forget the cheap wine!
    that toilet paper packaging is extra cute, you should just base all your decision buying power on cute packaging and omg DAISO!!!!! that's great!

    ReplyDelete