Thursday, April 5, 2012

Arrival and first day

I've made it! And surprisingly the flight went by quickly. After standing at the luggage carousel until I was nearly the last person there, I quickly left the airport terminal, ready to get back into the swing of things in my second homeland (reminder: need to more clearly mark my luggage. There are too many red luggages with black trim. When a computer monitor is inside one's luggage it is tough not to get paranoid when ANY red luggage is pulled from the conveyor belt)

I hopped onto the $30NT u-bus ($1) and rode to the Taoyuan High Speed Rail. The only part of the commute which I was not looking forward to was the walk with my luggage back to the house. It's about a 1.5km walk and I had 4 pieces of luggage: big rollie, small rollie, laptop, and large backpackers back pack. I also had my sweater and winter coat which I forgot to leave in the car when I left Vancouver. So I was sweating like crazy by the time I walked in the door. The temperature here is mid 20's and it felt like walking rough the humid Amazon portion of the Vancouver aquarium. Happily it's blue sky and not as much haze as I was expecting.

The remainder of the day consisted of a shower, and then a 1.5 hr zip up to the office to say hi to everyone and meet up with Joe and Johan. Some really interesting new business developments and there's a lot to look forward to over the next several months.

Joe bought me bento box lunch of BBQ duck, BBQ pork, roast pork, sausage, tofu, carrots, and some green things (choi + some cooked green gourd). One of the better bentos I've had at work. Will have to ask Katy which place it was because she ordered it for us.

Around 4 pm I started hitting the exhaustion wall. I had only slept a few hours over the past 36 hours so my productivity dropped to almost zero and I decided to head home for the day by 6ish.

I stopped in for some kimchi ramen on the way home and pretty much collapsed on my bed when I got into my room. Thankfully the next day was a stat holiday and I was able to sleep in for a glorious 12 hours.

And now I'm on the bus heading towards Taoyuan city centre where Johan is picking me up for lunch with their family!

2 comments:

  1. Oh a stat holiday?! Sweet deal! What stat was it there? Glad you arrived safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yah sweetness! Was great for my jet lag cause I was exhausted and needed the day to rest. It was Children's Day :) I've posted about it in my most recent post!

    ReplyDelete