Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Traditional" Fast Food Ramen Dinner

K here's the aforementioned ramen noodles.  Pimsleur's learning chinese has gotten my confidence up and I easily wipped out my "ni huay shuo ingwen ma?" (do you speak english?).  I already knew the guy spoke English because I talked to him last time but I felt like practicing my audio book leanings.  I've been to this ramen place twice before but I never ordered what I actually wanted.  There's a video screen showing an asian man dipping noodles into some kind of soup, and then eating them.  It's sort of a cheeky "how-to" video to eat this type of noodles.

The first 2 times I ordered I thought I'd get this double noodle-dipping vibe but both times it didn't happen.  So this time I just told the guy I wanted what was on the video.  He showed me the 3 options on the menu for this type of meal.  There were regular, spicy, and traditional flavours.  I asked him what was the most hao tschu (delicious) and he said the traditional so I went with that.

The noodles took about 5 minutes to arrive and before he let me walk away with the tray he explained that if I finish all the noodles and meat/cabbage and still have soup left, I shouldn't drink it straight because it's too "heavy."  I should instead go back to him with the bowl and he'll dilute it with hot water.  Check.

I was starving so I dug in and the broth stuff tasted just as I was hoping.  A sort of rich miso flavour seasoned with some fish flakes.  There was also green onions and toasted sesame seeds floating around.  Later on in the meal I realized there was a whole bunch of those mini dried fish resting on the bottom of the soup bowl, as well as a star anise pod (licorice).  Really full flavoured and rich.  My favourite from this particular place so far.  The noodles are decent but I think that's the area that could be improved the most.

I did end up having a quarter of a bowl left of the broth so I went back and the guy filled the bowl back up with hot water.  It was like 2 meals in one as I drank down the tasty soup.  Definitely coming back for this one on another day!


ps - weather sitting around 27 degrees during lunch and maybe dropping down to 20-22C in the morning and evening.  On and off rain.  Really hot in the office and... omg I just realized I didn't have bubble tea today!  I guess there goes my 2 week streak!

No comments:

Post a Comment