Friday, April 27, 2012

7-11 Grand Opening

It was the grand opening of the 7-11 by our work today.  11:45am was abuzz with pre-opening jitters.  All the festivities started at noon and despite the heavy rain, spirits were not at all dampened.  Nothing particularly interesting happened, but it was a fun "spectacle" to witness and I took pictures for you to see.

Flying streamers littered the soaking wet street

The front walk way of 7-11 was packed with balloons and a special guest...
It's Rainbow man! (I've forgotten his real Chinese name)
He's the main mascot for 7-11 here in Taiwan
As you can see, he's getting mobbed by the sea of children dressed in red track suits.  Mr.Squirrel gazes on in terror.  Snoopy looks nonchalant.  No one really cares about him

This picture isn't so good, but it's the only one I could get of the dressed up Snoopy who looked creepy!  Snoopy is supposed to be this fun cute little dog, but this was like a skinny full grown man about 6 feet tall wearing a thin fur suit and a dog head.  He made a big entrance out the doors but none of the kids cared.  Their hearts belonged to rainbow man.

Big line-ups inside!
Balloons decorated each aisle.  As you can see, the 7-11 is "New Open!"  Break out the champagne from aisle 2 :P


A simple buffet was set up and was set to open at 12:30.  It wasn't a very big spread considering the number of people, and I didn't want to stick around for the massive crowd that I knew would be descending on the table. 

Back outside there was a City Café mobile coffe truck giving out free "kafay".  Teresa and Katy waited in the big line up but I'm not a coffee drinker so I passed.

This is for my own reference.  7-11 sells this "Coffee Jelly Milk Tea" (pictured left).  Anne highly recommends it.  I'll give it a try next time I'm passing by without breakfast.

Snoopy is this months special free gift.  The bags are some of the swag you can get if you collect enough 7-11 snoopy stickers (spend $70NT or $2.50CAD and you get a sticker). 

Thought I should snap a picture of myself for the fans.  Of course it's the blurriest pic of the bunch :P

Snoopy says thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. OMG SNOOPY!!! how cute!! i hope you're collecting those points!!
    that coffee jelly drink, you can think of it similar to bubble tea, same idea, except instead of chewy balls it's like soft, not as chewy, jello squares.
    wow i can't imagine a 7-11 in vancouver opening w/ this much fan fare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I bought a few things from 7-11 recently and I've collected so far 4 stamps. haha. I tried buying that coffee jelly drink this morning for breakfast but it was sold out! I guess it's popular...

      Delete