Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Amazing 7-11 construction

For anyone who has ever visited Taiwan, you will know that 7-11 isn't just a convenience store.  It's a way of life.  You can buy/do almost anything at these ubiquitous establishments.  Buy alcohol, instant noodles, sushi, bread, chocolates, video games, hot pot, full blown cafe.  You can also pay your bills, have stuff delivered there (since many people don't have anywhere to receive something larger than a letter), fax, print, copy, etc.

Anyways, last week they gutted the suite beside our work staircase and started putting up pillars and completely re-modeling the inside.  We weren't sure what it was, but then only after a few days it was really evident that it was turning into a 7-11!  And these aren't like dingy places either.  These are NICE 7-11's.  Check out the pictures below.  This is like probably after only 1.5 weeks going from a literal hole in the wall.  Crazy fast right!?  It's not open yet but today when we walked by the door, it made the familiar and welcoming "ding dong" sound.


This was Monday night. 2 days before this they had absolutely no furniture inside or glass doors.

This was Tuesday night!


Yes my work office looks freaky and dark but it was 10pm and my phone isn't the greatest.  Honestly I feel safer walking around in Taiwan than I think anywhere I've ever walked at night.
 To be honest, I'm more simply amazed at the speed of construction.  I thought maybe it'd be built by the time Eliza got here in June, but at the current pace, I wouldn't be surprised if it's open on Friday.  I bet this construction crew flies around Taiwan just building 7-11's every day.  They must have it down to a T.  Or a 7... hehe (ok bad joke :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment