Wednesday, April 11, 2012

First Meal - Spaghetti with meiyo

Made my first "home cooked" meal last night! Spaghetti with meat sauce. I had scavenged the sauce and noodles from the Cingpu house last week and was feeling like I didn't want to trek out to get food since I had already spent the last hour wandering the Carrefour picking up misc items. I'd bought some laundry detergent $4, garlic (bag of 8 garlic bulbs) $1.25, onions (bag of 3 large ones) $1.25, ground beef $10/kg, luxury kikkoman soy sauce $2.5, and olive oil $8. You know, the usual stuff. I'd overlooked the fact that I didn't have any plates, or forks or eating utensils, or cooking utensils, or even a cloth to wash stuff but that didn't stop me

I chopped up some onions and garlic on the marble counter cause I hadn't bought a cutting board yet. Threw those in the cooking pot, switched on the stove top breakers in the breaker box and started cooking! The electric stove top had some pretty good power and things were sautéing in no time.

I reached for my can opener (from Cingpu also) to attempt opening the pasta sauce can but to my dismay, the can opener was essentially broken... I ended up forcing open the can by slowly punching the lid out with the can opener blade. It worked well enough but a new can opener went onto my growing list of things one doesn't realize they need until they have to start in a new place with nothing.

Anyways, tossed the sauce in the pot and when it was done simmering I emptied the sauce into a tupperware container, rinsed out the pot, then filled it back up and cooked the noodles (I only have 1 cooking vessel at the moment).

Noodles were finished and voila! My first home cooked meal in the new apartment. I had no dish cloth or scrub pad so I ended up cleaning the pot with my fingernails. A first for me.

Was this a boring post? I just realized it's a pretty mundane topic. Lol. Post comments below!

Ps - meiyo was a Chinese joke. Meiyo means "nothing" or "none" in Mandarin

3 comments:

  1. Haha Your mandarin pinyin is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! I think I'm going to start including the tones (e.g. xie\ xie\, or ni/ hao\/) just so it helps me learn.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it..
    quartz countertops near by

    ReplyDelete