Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fresh Fruit Juice Stand

Johan and I have taken a recent departure from our daily bubble tea ritual at the regular "50 Basket" bubble tea house we normally frequent.  Instead, we have been finding ourselves at a small juice stand about 15 meters closer to our work.  The place specializes in fresh fruit smoothies.  They have a pretty extensive menu and I'm looking forward to trying more of their beverages.

So far I've tried:

Watermelon Milk (Shi gua neo nai) -  "Shi gua" means watermelon, and "neo nai" means milk; Or literally "cow milk".  Really tasty and smooth.  Full cup of watermelon blended with ice and milk.  Really refreshing with a really light taste.  Not too sweet.  Just the way it should be! $1.25

Banana Milk (Xiang Jiao neo nai) - "Xiang Jiao" I learned today for the first time from Johan.  Means "banana".  You have to make sure you say "jiao" with a flat sounding tone.  Otherwise if you say "jiao" with a sharp ending it means "name" as in "hello my name is ______".  The smoothie tastes like how you would expect.  Like bananas blended with milk.  Nothing fancy and almost tastes comforting.  Like when I was a child and my Dad would teach me how to make smoothies with the hand blender back when I lived in Burnaby.  Toss in some yogurt, banana, fill it up with milk and blend (he added more than those things, but it's a secret).  Nice memories and the flavours really brought me back.  $1.25

Kiwi & Pineapple Juice (Can't-remember-zhi) - Zhi with a sharp ending means "juice".  Guo zhi means "fruit juice".  Just had this yesterday.  Will have to brush up on the Mandarin so I can order it by myself.  I recognize the Chinese characters on the menu at least if I'm ordering by myself.  SO good.  A whole kiwi and a full cup of slided fresh pineapple are added to the blender and blended with ice.  REALLY tasty.  $1.50

The woman who works the stand blends and mixes the ingredients right there in front of you, so you can see it's all fresh fruit ingredients going in.  I wonder what's on the menu tomorrow...

Kiwi Pineapple Smoothie

4 comments: