Sunday, May 6, 2012

AC Grief + Crazy AC Man


Woke up early last week and went downstairs to find these water stains under the AC on the couch.


The AC is leaking! gah.  I called Johan and he called my landlord (landlord doesn't speak English) to arrange a time to come in to have someone look at it.  The next day, I met the landlord and the AC repair guy and they spent about a 1.5 hours at the house fixing it.


The absolutely craziest part was when the AC repair guy climbed OUT the window to access the other half of the AC unit outside.  This was simply insane because I'm on the 18th floor of an apartment building and there's not really any railing out on the ledge, and the AC guy had no harness or anything.  His pants were even hanging down past his butt so I'm thinking his mobility is also limited AND he's wearing flip flops.









While the AC guy was out there fiddling around, the landlord turned to me with big eyes and said "dangerous!".  I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this was crazy.

Apparently the refrigerant was low in the unit, so a cylinder of it was used to refill it.  The AC guy and my landlord left and told me everything should be fine and dandy, but to call if I experienced any more problems.

.... 2 nights later I woke up to this:





So you can see now that the water isn't dripping out of the AC unit itself, but seeping through the concrete.  I'm glad to hear that Johan is not the only person who gets griefed by shotty worksmanship here in Taiwan.  I've seen a lot of "half-assed" worksmanship here, where the person will do the absolute minimum to get paid and to move on.

It's Sunday today and I'm heading out for a 37km bike trip but I'll be giving my keys to the security downstairs to let the AC guy and Landlord come back here to see if they can fix this.  I feel bad for the landlord mostly because he's being really friendly about it.

Hope I can use the AC tonight!  It's another hot day.  It's 10:30am and about 27 degrees C.

2 comments:

  1. WOW,crazy AC man out the window. Scary looking down to the street. Hope your AC problem gets fixed quick. You might want to buy a small fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yah I hope so too. The repair guy was here today and apparently it's fixed. I ran it all night last night and no problems. So hopefully no more problems! I do plan on buying a fan once I get my first paycheck. If I take money out from the ATM I worked out that it's about 3-4% of a charge on the money. That's the reason why I haven't bought a microwave, fan, toaster oven, etc. Because if I wait to use my money from here, then I don't have that extra 3-4% charge on everything.

      Delete