Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pokemon Snap: Bitan Edition (Bitan Hemei Jungle Walk)

Eliza and I just got back from a fun little Sunday morning walk in the "Bitan Scenic Area."  It's a nice riverside area only a few minutes away on the MRT for us.  We arrived at 9:30am to beat the afternoon sun, although it was still 30 degrees out!

Captions by Justin & Eliza

Justin:  Walked across the river along the old suspension bridge apparently left here by the Japanese during their time of occupation in Taiwan.

Justin:  Creepy big spider and some babies ready to feast on something stuck in their web.   Spider was as big as Eliza's hand

Eliza: Giant snail on our nature walk 

Justin: The top of the hill in the trail is an old abandoned amusement park.  It's been mostly all cleaned up except for this wall at the entrance and the base of the Ferris wheel.  The Taiwanese gov't has re-landscaped a lot of the trails and paths and it's now a really nice place for walking.

Eliza: Our walk was filled with the loud noises the cicada!  

Justin: I believe this is the base of the old Ferris wheel.  Could be completely wrong though!

Justin: almost at the top...

Eliza: Once again Justin has taken me on a lovely walk with a few stairs

Justin: The left blue circle is Taipei 101, and the right small blue circle is where our apartment is.   You can also see the  bridge down below spanning the water.  That's where we started our hike.

Eliza: Finally! Made it to the top of Xindian Hemei Mountain trail. It was a little hike, but man it was so hot!

Eliza: Little guard dogs

Eliza: Don't worry this was just an exoskeleton of a cicada

Eliza: Should of put on some bug spray before venturing in the jungle

Justin:  "ruins" from the old park

Eliza: There were tons of different butterflies...so if there's butterflies, there's caterpillars

Eliza: Justin playing real life Pokeman Snap.  Professor Oak gave him 1000 pts for this one

Eliza: I was able to steal the camera away for a sec to get a picture of the photographer

Eliza:  Enjoying the beauty 

Justin: Man it was HOT out!  I love this picture because Eliza was scared that she'd lost her little cloth from 7-11 and was looking everywhere for it and the whole time it was on her shoulder :P hehe

Eliza: Justin under a giant toadstool

Justin: On our way back down the trail.  Over the rails you can see the river down below

Justin: Dragon boat racing teams practicing.  There's a big festival/competition next weekend


Eliza: Another unusual caterpillar

Eliza: It was fun watching this little inch worm travel along the handrail

Eliza: I believe I can fly........

Eliza: I believe I can touch the sky.

Eliza: Biggest snail we found today (bigger than an iPhone!)

Eliza: More wild life

Justin: Hobbit house

Justin: The woman in the red hat was banging on a garbage bucket to motivate the team

Eliza: I think this was my favorite caterpillar with it's amazing colour

Justin: For some reason I loved this chair.  It was propped on two unusually sized rocks, and then the top of the chair had wood slats, bits of cement, and then more wood planks on top.  Someone really loves that chair...

Eliza: I know it looks like I'm squishing the millipede, but I'm not even touching it.  Justin's framing me.

Justin: Another cute blobby guy

Justin: Another millipede.   Maybe 4 inches long.  Shorter than the first one 

Justin: Street market on the way back to the MRT

Eliza: Home for some bubble tea.  I had my favorite grapefruit....yummy
We arrived back home around noon.  A productive morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment